Baking Soda Used To Brush Teeth?
According to an article from the YBdent Dental Clinic, to keep your natural whiteness and shine brush your teeth with sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda) can help remove stains and lighten the enamel slightly at home, provided it is first consulted and approved by a dentist.
Benefits of brushing your teeth with baking soda
1) Reduces plaque and gingivitis: biofilms can cause problems such as tooth decay and gingivitis. Brushing your teeth with baking soda destroys biofilms, thus reducing the number of bacteria and preventing damage to your gums and teeth.
2) May Decrease Bacteria: some bacteria need acidic conditions to survive and work in the mouth. Rinsing your mouth with baking soda and water increases the PH of your mouth and makes it less acidic.
3) Removes surface stains from teeth: Baking soda is a mild abrasive that can remove external stains from your teeth. For this reason this ingredient is often used in many commercial pastas.
In all cases, a consultation with a specialist is always advisable.
The dangers of baking soda on teeth
Baking soda in small concentrations can be harmless, while in large quantities and mixed with other products it can be dangerous for tooth enamel.
- Mixing it with hydrogen peroxide can irritate your gums.
- Mixing baking soda with products that have an acidic pH can cause tooth sensitivity.
- Using baking soda instead of toothpaste and not using others can promote the appearance of cavities. This is because baking soda does not provide the necessary fluoride which is present in many toothpastes.
- It has an unpleasant taste and texture. You can take advantage of its benefits by trying some toothpastes that include baking soda, as they have a more pleasant texture and taste.